Saturday, May 30, 2015

It Takes a Village


Have you ever felt your life spiraling out of control?

The bills. The laundry. The kids. THINGS. Just piling up.

This was my life.


About six months ago, I made the choice to work more outside of the home. I had been working one day a week for over a year, but I was still home most of the time. I had the ability to devote the majority of my time to housework and mothering (and blogging and Netflix-ing).

I had it made.

Well, except for the times when the kids were home from school and bickering all day long. Those days I wished I was working outside of the home!

My point is: I was able to get things done. 

But the bills were piling up. My husband's career in construction was wishy-washy at best. There were so many variables in whether or not he would be working, that a paycheck was never set in stone.


stock photo courtesy of varandah via freedigitalphotos.net
It appeared that things were going to have to change. I had spent two years going back to college to get a degree, mostly for something to do outside of the home, but now I would be required to put it to good use.

I had to go back to work. So I did.

But, in taking on a bread winning role, I had to back burner all the other things in my life. No more wasting away my days maintaining my blog and entertaining the masses. No more doing laundry while catching up on the latest Netflix shows. No more keeping the house clean. Period.

These jobs were moved in to my husband's domain. (Well, except for the blogging. That has just fallen by the wayside most days. Sorry guys!) Don't get me wrong, he tries really hard to keep up with all the things, he does laundry...and even has the kids fold it. (Don't even get me STARTED on the crazy logistics of laundry location since this little policy has been started! I spend sooo many mornings hunting down my work clothes in somebody else's closet, or more realistically, under someone's bed!)

He does the dishes and keeps the floors vacuumed.

But let's face it....the organizing and de-cluttering and fine-tuning were non-existant.

Bottom line: The house was a giant mess.

I learned something really quick. Either you learn to ignore it and just accept the fact that you live in a house that would make the writers of  "Hoarders" cringe, or you bust your butt trying to maintain it until you work yourself to death. 

I chose the first one.

I was tired. I didn't want to spend my evenings cleaning. I wanted to spend them watching Netflix and blogging playing with my kids. It was my choice, but it wasn't always easy to live with. I found myself getting more and more irritated with life in general. The kids. My husband. THE MESS. 

I just couldn't take it anymore.

And so I admitted defeat. Publicly.

I posted this on Facebook:


And my friends responded. 

The following week, my two best friends gave up their Friday to come over and help me clean my house. And it was awesome. We accomplished SO much. And it felt so good at the end of the day to look around and feel like I could actually RELAX. 

I had forgotten how much I desired a clean house. 

And I had forgotten that it sometimes takes a village to raise a family. We can't always accomplish all the things on our own. 

And it is okay to admit defeat and ask for help. 

In fact, I totally recommend it. 

Getting some help finishing the necessary things gives you more time for the fun things. And life is supposed to be fun.

stock photo courtesy of adamr via freedigitalphotos.net


HAVE SOME FREE TIME? 
Spend it the way I like to spend mine....watching
I receive complimentary service in return for my endorsement, but all opinions are 100% my own.

Check out their newest original show, Grace and Frankie. It is about two frenemies who are thrust together when their husbands announce that they are gay. Together. They are forced to work out their differences and help each other out along the way. It is well written and it has some pretty big name stars: Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen, and Sam Waterston. I have watched the entire first season already! Here is a little sneak peak...


Not your cup of tea? Try these instead:

70196156 11379479
70281526 9638690
70155618 11317455
70157358 9024711

New on Netflix for Kids and Families

80018987 12162740
70271568 9949882
lalaloopsy festivalofsweets 571x800 2
Puss in Boots
H2O boxshot USA en
80020540 12131595
Mako Mermaid Season3 boxshot  1
Do me a favor, would ya? Click this banner. Every click is a vote which improves my ranking on Top Mommy blogs and brings new visitors to this site daily! You're the best. xoxo
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Love what you read here? Follow me on Facebook and Twitter too! And be sure to leave a comment, I love reading what you think of this blog! Without you, I would just be talking to myself and that's just weird.