Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Back when life was all "Raindrops on Roses"

I love the movie "The Sound of Music". I have enjoyed watching it ever since I was a little girl. My favorite has always been the music. Who can compete with the beautiful singing voice of Julie Andrews belting out “Raindrops on Roses”? Probably not me, but I sure do try! 

The other day, this song popped into my head and as I sang it, I started to think, “Wouldn’t it be great if life was that simple and beautiful?!  It’s kinda like life was BEFORE kids, when I could focus every day on me, and me alone…“The good ‘ole days”. 

Or so I called them.

But the reality is- I had kids and my whole life changed.  Nowadays my life is closer to THIS version:

Food stains on carpet, and sticky syrup fingers
Whatever that smell is, it sure fire lingers
Hey! That’s my good lipstick, you are wearing
These are a few of my daily happenings!
Wait! That’s MY shampoo you’re using for bubbles!
Get out of that laundry or you’ll be in trouble!
Where did you get that?! I can’t save a thing.
These are a few of my daily happenings!
“I want more candy!” “My hands are muddy.”
“I don’t want to eat that because it smells funny.”
 You need attention every time my phone rings
These are a few of my daily happenings!
When the ball drops
At my wits end
When I’m feeling mad
I try to remember my sweetest memories
And then I say “Where’s your dad?!”

But you know what? Even as I wrote out those words, I realized, somewhere along the road, this has become my “good ‘ole days”! Being a mom is both a blessing and a lesson in patience and perseverance. A lesson that doesn’t end until the kids are grown and on their own, and sometimes not even then!


So the question is: Would I change it? Would I give up these sticky times for a life of lonely emptiness?
Never! Not in a million years! Every single sticky moment has morphed into a beautiful memory that I can one day share with my grandchildren….As I load them up with sugar and then send them home with their parents.

I re-published this post as a tribute to my sweet Brennan starting preschool today. (She is featured in all these wonderful pictures!) This post was originally published on Sticky Fings.


Did you enjoy this post?
 Clickety-click here to vote for my blog!
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
You can vote 1 time every 24 hours from all devices!

Follow me on Facebook
A Day in the Life of a Drama Queen's Momma

Follow me on Twitter
 @Momma_Dramas